Anna Maria Farias is a federal retiree who has held several positions at the US Department of Housing and Urban Development as a political appointee for the Bush Administration from 2001 – 2008. As the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Special Initiatives under the auspices of Community Planning and Development in the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development, she also served as Senior Counsel for HUD Secretary Mel Martinez. From November 1992-2000, Ms. Farias served as the Executive Director of the Crystal City Housing Authority in Texas. She received the Presidential National Award for being the only Executive Director in the country to reside in public housing.
Her prior federal service consists of serving as the Legal Advisor to the Deputy Secretary of Labor (1992); Counsel to a National Labor Relations Board (1989-1992), Special Assistant/Attorney Advisor to the U.S. Secretary of Education, William J. Bennett (1985), Director for the Office of Bilingual Education (1985-1988), and Attorney in the Merit Systems Protection Board.
• Department of Housing and Urban Development
• Department of Labor
• Department of Education
• Leadership Development
• Conflict Resolution
• Personnel and Labor Law
• Policy for Education, Community Development and Housing
• Director, Center for Faith-Based and Community Initiatives, US Department of Housing and Urban Development
• Deputy Assistant Secretary, Grants Programs for Community Initiatives, HUD
• Deputy Assistant Secretary, Special Initiatives, Community Planning and Development, HUD
• Senior Counsel to Secretary Martinez, US Department of Housing and Urban Development
• Member, Wage Appeals Board and Board of Service Contract Appeals, US Department of Labor
• Legal Advisor to the Deputy Secretary of Labor
• Attorney Advisor to the Assistant Secretary, Office for the Civil Rights, US Department of Education
• Attorney Advisor to Secretary Bennett, US Department of Education
• Harvard University JFK School of Government, Cambridge, Massachusetts
• Temple Law School, Philadelphia, PA, J.D.
• Boston University, Boston, Massachusetts, BS Cum Laude
Honors and Accomplishments:
• Member, Texas Women’s Hall of Fame
• Director, National Board of Directors, MANA
• Governor Appointee to the Board of Directors, One Star Foundation